🔕 🔔

tweaking cornbread

I'm on a quest for the perfect cornbread. I've learned that I like it made with a high proportion of cornmeal to flour, little to no sugar, buttermilk, cast iron pan, and bacon fat. The last variable to figure out is eggs - I've seen anywhere from 1-4 eggs included in recipes. What is the effect of more or less eggs on the final product?

asked by linzarella almost 5 years ago

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I love a cornbread from Nikki and David Goldbeck -- it has 3/4 cup cornmeal, 1 egg, 1 Tb honey. I have changed it to use buttermilk (originally 1 1/2 cup yogurt). I omit the sweetener, and you could change oil + butter to bacon fat. It's quick, simple and delicious.

2e76cf97 2d3d 429e a4b4 7be0bcf4c88d  headshot

Thanks Nili, this is just the kind of response I was looking for!