tweaking cornbread

I'm on a quest for the perfect cornbread. I've learned that I like it made with a high proportion of cornmeal to flour, little to no sugar, buttermilk, cast iron pan, and bacon fat. The last variable to figure out is eggs - I've seen anywhere from 1-4 eggs included in recipes. What is the effect of more or less eggs on the final product?

asked by linzarella about 6 years ago

I love a cornbread from Nikki and David Goldbeck -- it has 3/4 cup cornmeal, 1 egg, 1 Tb honey. I have changed it to use buttermilk (originally 1 1/2 cup yogurt). I omit the sweetener, and you could change oil + butter to bacon fat. It's quick, simple and delicious.

linzarella

Thanks Nili, this is just the kind of response I was looking for!

Ivan

I have been using this recipe without eggs and find the flavour is much better than with eggs. The texture is slightly more crumbly, but is not a problem.

MIX WELL
200 GRAMS FINE ITALIAN CORNMEAL
1/4 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
2 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
1 TEASPOON SALT

__________________________________

325 ML BUTTERMILK OR YOGURT
30 GRAMS BUTTER
FRESH CORN OPTIONAL
PANCETTA OPTIONAL

________________________________

COMBINE WET AND DRY INGREDIENTS WITH WHISK

POUR INTO VERY HOT 8 INCH SKILLET
COATED WITH CORN OIL

BAKE AT 200 DEGREES
FOR 20 MINUTES

8 SERVINGS
Per Serving
Calories 161
Protein 4.1 gm