Pomegranate overload

Any ideas for creative ways to use a bunch of pomegranate seeds? I already sprinkle them in salads and cereal/oatmeal, but wonder if there are grand possibilities I am not thinking of. I have about 3 1/2 c. in my fridge right now.

asked by chez_mere almost 6 years ago

I have a jar of pomegranate seeds in vinegar on my counter at the moment. I used the seeds of one pomegranate, a liter of organic apple cider vinegar, and a quarter- to a half-cup of sugar. I put it all in a sterilized container and covered with a tightly-fitting lid. I’ll give it a shake once in a while and will let it sit for about two weeks. Then I take out the seeds and pour the vinegar back into its bottle. Tomorrow I am going to try another batch using cranberries, pear and ginger.

chez_mere

I like that. Do you think it would work with the red wine vinegar I have in my cupboard. Do you like to use the vinegar for dressings or any other particular uses? Do you like the pickled seeds?

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

They work well in a poultry stuffing - particularly a rice one - and/or pan sauce.

You can use them if you're making a roast or a brisket. They add a nice flavor to the braise.

Pomegranate is lovely on brisket--the NY Times website should have a recipe for it.

sayatexplores

There is a parsley salad that I've been craving for a little while now that uses pomegranates and pom-molasses. It's a tart salad with a lot of parsley, coarse cracked wheat (bulgur), chopped walnuts, and pomegranate seeds. This is a salad that is commonly served at sea food restaurants in Istanbul. I do not know the name but the textural contrast I would look for would combine 1/2 c of packed chopped parsley, one tbsp of fine chopped walnuts, 1/2 c of cooked bulgur, and two tbsp of pomegranate seeds.

I think this combination (without the bulgur) can be diluted with olive oil, vinegar and sugar into a chimichurri / agridulce / chutney depending on what part of the world you want to go with it.

I also think that it makes an excellent garnish on tatzikis / rayetas, stuffed poblanos, tabbouleh, babaganoushes, panzanellas, fattoushes...

You can also dry them and use them in curries instead or in addition to the tart flavor of tamarind.

A roasted beat and arugula salad with goat cheese is what I'm making tonight topped with pomegranate seeds is what I'm making tonight for dinner!

Esther Heimberg

Stick them in gin and let them sit for a while!

The Spiced Life

I would garnish almost any Indian or even Middle Eastern dish with them.

ChezHenry

Juice them. Make a Pomegranate Margarita: 1 part pom juice, 1 part fresh lime juice, 1/2 part Grand Marnier, 2 parts tequila. Fill shaker with ice and shake til it hurts. Serve.

bigpan

The solution is ... a martini !
One part vodka, one part pomegranate juice, a bit of Cointreau, half a dozen (or more) pomegranate seeds, a squeeze of lime.
Repeat.

Trade secret is to de-seed the Pom in a bowl of cold water. The pith floats and easy to pull out. Put the seeds on a paper towel, in a ziplock container, and use for a week or two.

Or, Put in your juicer with some OJ like they do in Turkey... enjoy.