rice dish ideas for holiday party?

Looking for a rice side dish that I can double as a vegetarian main. Something that I can add pomegranate seeds to. Thoughts?

asked by girlwithaknife over 3 years ago

ATG117

The first thing that comes to mind is to check out some of Ottolenghi's recipes, which you can do online or if you have any of the cookbooks. To have it double as a main, you'd probably want to add some protein like lentils.

Tobi @ brag&butter

I would go for a Persian Ta-Dig rice with crispy potatoes on the bottom (there are endless recipes on the net for this). To give it some holiday spirit, I would bejewel the rice itself with pistacchios and pomegranate seeds. For vegetarians, I'd serve a rich herbed curd or sour cream aside, with lots of dill.

This rice salad is beautiful and a crowd-pleaser. Also has dill and sweet red pepper as Christmas colors. Old standby from Silver Palate cookbook. http://www.tastebook.com...-

PS Add some good beans, vegetarian ground round (Yves is a good brand) or chopped egg (for vegetarian not vegan guests) to this salad to make it a main.

ktr
ktr

I make a wild rice dish that I found in the Duluth Grill Cookbook and everyone loves it. It is essentially wild rice mixed with orzo. Then you toss in a little bit of onion and a couple heads of broccoli and a large handful of dried cranberries. Add some basil and parsley, salt and pepper and a few tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. You could easily add pomegranate seeds to it, or substitute them for the cranberries.

ktr
ktr

I forgot there is also some diced bell pepper in it as well.