A question about a recipe: Faulknerian Family Spice Cake, with Caramel Icing

12160fb2 9571 4644 9348 540f0622ccd1  042710 0356

I have a question about step 2 on the recipe "Faulknerian Family Spice Cake, with Caramel Icing" from ENunn. It says:

"Sift together dry ingredients, twice. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Add vanilla. Bake in a greased floured tube pan at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until cake tests for doneness. Serve with caramel icing. " I don't have a tube pan. Can I use a regular cake pan for this?

asked by alimarcus almost 6 years ago

Typically a tube pan holds more than a standard cake pan. I would be concerned that the batter from this recipe would be too much for your cake pan. A 9" cake pan holds 8 cups. A 9" tube pan holds 12 cups. Once you make your batter, measure how many cups you have. You made need to use two cake pans.

alimarcus

Thanks for the explanation! I will just cut the recipe by 1/2 or 1/3 and use a smaller pan. OR, maybe i'll make 2 cakes. Thanks again!

Gibson2011

I made this as my birthday cake this year. Since it was serving two people, I halved the recipe and made it in a 9" cake pan. Worked perfectly, just watch the time.