🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Faulknerian Family Spice Cake, with Caramel Icing

12160fb2 9571 4644 9348 540f0622ccd1  042710 0356

I have a question about the ingredient "shortening (yes, shortening)" on the recipe "Faulknerian Family Spice Cake, with Caramel Icing" from ENunn. Can I use vegetable oil instead of shortening?

asked by walevitt almost 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I'm guessing not. They have 2 completely different chemical properties and impart different textures to baked goods. And enunn specifically says shortening. Emphasizes it even. If you were going to sub anything for the shortening I'd use more butter. Even then, the cake will be different.

5a08275c 5f33 4cff 9c11 c46e0e1c3623  food52 photo

No, just go ahead and bite the bullet and use shortening. You can get organic shortening in bars, at Whole Foods, if that the issue--if you can't stand the thought of Crisco. Me, I think it rocks. But you have to use the shortening here.

Agree with the above wisdom. You need the density of shortening here.