🔕 🔔

Cakes won't release!

My mother is making a three-layer cake for this evening, my boy's fourth birthday. We're having kitchen tears because all three layers from buttered and floured pans are stubbornly stuck at the center of the pans. Any hope of salvation? Thanks in advance!

asked by JadeTree about 5 years ago

69a71d16 9571 4104 8999 9512635f0673  stringio

A friend showed me a trick on Sunday in our kitchen at church. She had allowed the cake she brought to cool in the pan and it was stuck, she heated it very gently, briefly over a burner and it released. She said it warms the fats up again and helps loosen things up.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Have you also tried running a knife around the edges?

906edcb9 c33e 4d08 a351 dbbfe46ee585  image

We are trying it now! Thank you!

Yes, we did the knife thing , as usual. We loved the heating over the burner trick - but, alas, no luck. We think it is the chocolate chips in the batter since the edges are free, but there are spots towards the centers that are stuck in random intervals (tester came out clean so cakes are definitely done). Mom didn't have any parchment when prepping the pans, but I think it'll be de rigueur from here on out. We're going to just get it out and make a giant trifle out of it, chocolate icing, whipped cream and all! Put candles on it and he'll be thrilled. Thanks for the suggestions, all!

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I hate when that happens! If any cake pieces rip off, save them and glue them back together with the frosting. Or fill in craters with frosting. Once it's all frosted, no one will be the wiser. Happy 4th birthday!

Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

Next time you run out of parchment,wax paper is a good substitute for a cake pan bottom liner. I also like the "frosting as spackling filler idea" . I've glossed over many cakes cosmetic flaws with icing.