🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Brown Sugar Apple Upside Down Cake with Apple Cider Caramel and Spiced Walnuts

4d939717 26e7 432a bf2b 0735f443f229  wfc 10 15 5540 applecake1

I have a question about the ingredient "baking powder" on the recipe "Brown Sugar Apple Upside Down Cake with Apple Cider Caramel and Spiced Walnuts" from apartmentcooker. how fresh should the baking powder be

asked by salivasister almost 5 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I like to use baking powder within 12 months. Does the packaging on yours have an expiration date, or do you know how long you've had it for?

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

There's no question it can go off - I made some scones with some expired baking powder a few weeks ago (I don't bake all that much) and the results were disappointing to say the least :)

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Try "proofing it" just by putting a 1/2 tsp in a cup water and see if it fizzes.
Also, do that when you first get a fresh unopened can when you open it so you have a baseline visual or amount of fizz it should have.
I usually keep unopened baking powder on hand as a back up. Even with the plastic lid with high humidity etc it starts to degrade faster than the 'use by/exp' date once opened and exposed to air.

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

I wonder if there's some way to store baking powder so that it doesn't "oxidize" -- i.e., isn't stored in contact with air. Maybe a zip-loc with the air pressed out?