How many pounds of turkey per guest?

When buying a Thanksgiving turkey, how many pounds do you buy per guest?

asked by Marian Bull almost 6 years ago

Vittoria

Figure on 1/2pd per person. I always get more because we enjoy left overs.

darksideofthespoon

I'd go with 1lb per person, with a few extra lbs for left overs - that would ensure there are plenty for turkey soup or sandwiches the next day! Personally, I could easily eat a pound of turkey meat. I can never pick between the thigh and breast! Then you have drumsticks and skin?! Impossible not to have some of each.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I agree with the 1lb per person. At a few catering events I've done that was the recommended amount. It also depends widely on how hungry they are feeling, how many sides you have, and if you really want leftovers. If that's the case 1lb - 1lb and a half.

abbey

1 1/2 pounds

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris