🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Garlic camembert from the oven

4a72e511 cc0d 11e5 b1dc 3c15c2d2bb38  38 full

I have a question about the recipe "Garlic camembert from the oven" from Veerle. I don't understand the oven temp of 284 degrees..........

asked by Ask Peg almost 5 years ago

HalfPint is correct. Although I doubt that anyone can calibrate their oven temperature that precisely. As an FYI in England the equivalent could be "Gas Mark 2" which is pretty vague and refers to a very low oven.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I think you can be sure nobody's oven is that accurate by the very nature of how thermostats work (let alone ovens all have hot and cold spots). Unless you're capable of taking into account the thermal mass of the food and the pot or pan it's in and can factor in the starting temperature of the ingredients plus the non-linearity of temperature rise, your best bet is to stick a probe in the dish and "it's done when it's done".