A question about a recipe: Irish Brown Soda Bread

I have a question about the ingredient "1/4 cup toasted wheat germ" on the recipe "Irish Brown Soda Bread" from merrill. Ingredients, Gluten Free, Wheat Germ

374d5f64 7061 4350 8951 324050758494  122010f 097
Recipe question for: Irish Brown Soda Bread

Merrill Stubbs November 14, 2012

Rice bran would be a decent substitute, or maybe ground flax seeds. You could also leave it out, as it's mainly there for taste and texture.

Marian Bull
Marian Bull November 14, 2012

I've made the bread successfully with ground almonds that I briefly toasted in a pan. It turned out great!

glutenfreegirl
glutenfreegirl November 21, 2012

The first thing to do is think about what function the wheat germ serves here. We're never going to duplicate the taste and texture of it. However, if you think that the wheat germ adds a little protein, a little fiber, and a little crunch, then you can find something gluten-free that does the same. I'd use gluten-free oats (those are traditional for soda bread), quinoa flakes, or a handful of cooked millet. Sub out by weight and you're good!