🔕 🔔

You can keep it in the fridge if you plan on using it within 24 hours. Otherwise, I'd put it straight in the freezer

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

I will second the 24 hour rule. It also depends on how cold your refrigerator is and if there's butter in your dough. a pie dough made exclusively with vegetable shortening is not quite as sensitive to oxidizing as one made with only butter. Also the disc of dough should be as flat as possible. If you're needing to thaw it before rolling, thaw it slowly in fridge rather than at room temp.

ChefOno

Rose Levy Beranbaum says two days (frozen up to three months). I've gone longer in the refrigerator but at some point mold will appear in as dark spots distributed throughout the dough. Ick. Moist flour creates ideal conditions for mold.

Foodelf

I make a lot of tarts and always roll out the pastry, line my tart pan then freeze it, well-wrapped in plastic wrap or bag. Pastry loves to be frozen prior to baking or at least my Dorie Greenspan pastry does. The pasty shell doesn't need to be defrosted, just fill and bake; or blind bake if that's what the recipe requires.