🔕 🔔

Nut-free king cake with chocolate.

I've been commissioned to make a nut-free King Cake; also looking to add chocolate to it in some form, while maintaining the cake's essence. Suggestions? (For both the pecan substitution -- maybe an oat or a seed? -- and for ways to integrate chocolate.)

asked by Shefali Luthra 10 months ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd just exclude the nuts and do cream cheese with chocolate chunk filling or do just chocolate chunks. I've used this recipe with good success: http://www.foodnetwork...

There are NO nuts in a traditional King Cake. I don't know where you got that notion. And there is no chocolate. The traditional cake is very much brioche-y, and sometimes has a marzipan-y filling, but mostly not. I've been teaching Cajun and Creole cooking for more than 30 years, and would not associate either nuts or chocolate with King cakes.

74ae45ce 244b 4655 8a1e a8655c72047a  img 4116

Other highly Catholic regions of the US do both use the term King Cake and have nuts in the filling. Its not my favorite kind of filling. But since the point is to use up all of the decadent ingredients in your house before lent, you can understand why many communities started nutting them up.

I was late in making my own families King Cake (as in had so little time I coudn't get to the store). But after making up a delicious one from just what we had in the house, which also happens to be uber traditional, I posted it to my website. I rarely do since I have a hard time writing how I do things. If you try it out feel free to substitute a fuller fat milk for my buttermilk, we just rarely have any other milk in the house. http://www.myfriendmaillard...

Somehow the phrase "last year" did not make it into my post above. Just so no one gets confused, Lent doesn't start until March 1st this year, so you've got until the 28th.