🔕 🔔

food52hotline Should I first roast turkey breast down and then flip?

asked by @jilladavis almost 5 years ago

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

That's the method suggested in Russ Parson's Dry Brined Turkey recipe, and it works really well.
Here's the recipe, if you're interested in seeing the method: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

As long as you don't mind the risk of the breast skin sticking to the rack and maybe tearing when you flip it .
I would follow the recipe but cook breast- up instead.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I've done it several times with great success - you won't believe how much more moist the meat stays, since the juices keep circulating through the breast meat for much of the cooking time. I've never had a problem with the skin tearing (but definitely oil the rack regardless).

It is a bit of a logistical exercise to manage though :)