How do I reduce the cooking time or temp for a turkey breast that's smaller than the recipe?

I'm roasting a turkey breast for the first time tomorrow, and I have a recipe that says to roast a 6 1/2 - 7 lb bone in turkey breast at 325* for 1 3/4 - 2 hours. However, the bone-in breast that I got is only 4 1/2 lbs. Should I reduce the time and or the temp, and to what should I adjust them? Also, the recipe says to put wine in the bottom of the pan, which I may not do so I can make gravy...but will that affect the outcome?

asked by curlgirl almost 6 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

Re: the temp, it will never change! Your turkey, no matter the size, is done when a temperature reading registers 165 degrees. Hopefully other users will chime in on an estimated cooking time, but I would start checking at an hour.

Reduce the time, not the temperature. Start checking for doneness after 1 hour. Do you have an instant read thermometer? If so, the turkey is done when the internal temp is 165 F. Also, feel free to skip the wine in the beginning. Roast the turkey breast. Remove it from the pan. Add the wine to the pan and reduce it by half, then proceed with the rest of your gravy recipe. Good luck!

curlgirl

Thank you both! I have a instant thermometer, so I will follow your advice! Thanks!

gheanna

You can adjust the timing to 13 minutes per pound, so just under an hour. If you're not adding the wine, it could potentially slow down your cooking time. It'd be best to periodically check the temperature of your bird to assure things are running smoothly.