FIRST LOOK AT AMANDA AND MERRILL'S NEW COOKBOOK! PRE-ORDER YOUR SIGNED COPY »
🔕 🔔

My mac and cheese is pretty simple: elbows, béchamel, extra sharp cheddar, salt and pepper, hot sauce. I usually serve it unbaked, as I find it creamier. But I’ve been assigned baked mac and cheese for my Thanksgiving contribution. Whenever I bake it (usually at 350), I find it too dry for my liking. I’ve tried upping the amount of cheese sauce and briefly broiling the top instead of longer baking, but still not creamy enough. Any suggestions for keeping it very creamy? Is baked mac and cheese naturally more dry than non-baked? Might just be a personal preference thing on my part. :)

asked by campagnes almost 6 years ago
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Yes, I think it's going to be less creamy because of the baking process. I'd make the cheese sauce a little thinner (adding more milk probably) and yes, would use about 20% more of it. I'd bake it at 300 degrees (so it warms rather than cooks) and then, yes, broiling it like you did -- that was a great idea!

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

I'm with Amanda -- I bake mine, occasionally, and when I do, it's always with additional milk to thin down the sauce, and going with a "soupier" product pre-baking. I top with a combo of bread crumbs and parmesan, and just bake long enough to crisp that up.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I hardly ever bake mine, but a good thing to do is slightly undercook your pasta, like just under al dente, so the pasta won't be overcooked once it has finished baked. And I agree, use more cheese sauce.

Why bake, make it your way. Bring your recipe the way you like it.

C8ffa92e 3766 46b4 8290 dbef5c382a03  james joyce 1

The fancy French term for bechamel with cheese is sauce mornay. As Amanda has suggested you can make it "looser" but also mentally factor in the moisture content of the cheese you are choosing to use. It can make a big difference if it's a really dry cheese as compared to say, Velveeta.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

awesome.. thanks for all the feedback! I agree, cheaterchef, I'd love to just bring my own mac and cheese, but they really dig that crunchy top, so I'm stuck with baked. :) I'll increase a slightly thinner cheese sauce and see how that goes.