🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Sour Cream Dinner Rolls

76cd2404 a8bd 469f b653 93f2188fd047  122010f 1016

I have a question about the recipe "Sour Cream Dinner Rolls" from AntoniaJames. I was wondering what the purpose of the baking soda is in these rolls. I've never added soda to a yeast bread recipe.

asked by pamelalee almost 5 years ago

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate or bicarbonate of soda) is a leavenor. It helps your biscuits rise higher and be lighter by releasing carbon dioxide gas once moistened in a batter. It is used in recipes that contain acidic ingredients to reduce the acidity while maintaining the flavor. Too much baking soda will, however, give your baked goods a somewhat soapy flavor and a course, open crumb.

Thanks, boulangere! I add baking soda to bread dough made with buttermilk for the same reason. ;o)