A question about a recipe: Slow Roast Duck

8653a98f 7c27 4d7e 8ac7 f11cb525fcf9  5337480747 a8cebf7000 o

I have a question about the recipe "Slow Roast Duck" from merrill. Where can I find this slant-rimmed baking sheet? I saw a 1962 episode of The French Chef, and Julia Child was using one just like it.

asked by PaulaE over 5 years ago

I got that baking sheet at Dehillerin in Paris. Wouldn't be surprised if JC got hers there, as well. It's been a Paris cookware mecca for decades.

PaulaE

Thank you! I had just visited the Dehillerin website after reading about the Smithsonian's Julia Child kitchen exhibit, and apparently Julia bought almost all of her kitchenware at Dehillerin between 1948 and 1952. The website does not show this pan, so I guess I'll just have to make a special trip to Paris to get one! Thank you so much for the quick response and the wonderful website. I visit Food52 at least 5 times a week, sometimes more often, and I've told scads of friends about it.

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Are you sure it's not on the alu-inox page of the catalog? http://www.e-dehillerin... and look for page 4 - it's item number 5 and comes in a variety of sizes; although, personally, a trip to Paris sounds way better...

Paula, so glad you like our site -- and thanks for telling your friends! We welcome them, too!

PaulaE

@Diana, yes, I saw that, but the rim is too high. See image. Yes, I think a trip to Paris is in order! I've also emailed Dehillerin with the photo, so let's see what they say. I will report!

A trip to Paris is always in order. Especially to Dehillerin.

I love the look of the slanted sides, but wonder if they serve a functional purpose? As far as I'm concerned, the visual charm is reason enough, but I'm just curious if there's a cooking-related benefit I'm not getting?

PaulaE

I first saw the pan on an early French Chef episode (1971, I think), where Julia was making a spinach and ham tart. The low, slanted sides of the pan allowed her to easily slide the finished product onto a serving platter without having to lift it and risk breaking it.

healthierkitchen

Based on an earlier thread or feature, isn't yours carbon steel, Amanda? I tried to find one in my area and did purchase a French carbon steel pan, but it has lower sides more appropriate for cookies or items you would like to slide off the pan easily. I would still like one with higher sides that I could use when I want an edge against which I could push a spoon or spatula when I want to turn roast vegetables. Sadly, I won't be in Paris anytime soon.

Yes -- mine is carbon steel, which is why it has aged nicely but definitely requires tlc!