instead of real sugar in Teddies Apple Cake..can I use Splenda?

asked by judy clemons over 3 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I know that the company that makes Splenda says that you can, but I've never tried it. Check the Splenda website www.Splenda.com for info on how to substitute, and what the constraints are. it can be challenging to bake when you have to limit sugar. I hope it works out for you.

I once tried to make a choc cake recipe with Splenda. Total disaster. The cake was likea rubber frisbee. The filler used to make it measure out equal to sugar does some strange things to recipes that you can't really predict. Try a recipe specifically designed to use Splenda.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Sugar adds both sweetness and texture to baked goods - for example, the chemical reaction (caramelization) can make cookies crispier. Sugar is also hydroscopic (attracts water) and so this affects the result and contributes to things like spread in cookies. The action of creaming butter and sugar together is a way to leaven cakes.

Therefore, a straight substitution will work better in some recipes than others. As HalfPint advises, using a recipe specifically designed to use Splenda, which takes into account these other effects, will yield best results.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

The word is actually hygroscopic (with a g), not hydroscopic, though the latter sounds correct.

I would not, as others have mentioned. If you're subbing out of health concerns, other than diabetes, I'd venture to say that splenda is worse for you than any other sugar. Have you thought of trying to cut down on the sugar or sub with some applesauce instead? Might be a better experiment.