Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Stress Free Vegan Holiday Gingerbread Cookies

6d1f0daf 8d48 4590 acd8 f072e39b36f1  reishrp vmxns3vcauo2cx11iynuo2q0vlub g9pmw

I have a question about the recipe "Stress Free Vegan Holiday Gingerbread Cookies" from Gena Hamshaw. I made these over the weekend and they plumped up while baking (like the ones in the photo above seem to have done). Each day since then, they've become softer and softer. I followed the recipe exactly, and yet they are not and have never been crispy. What do you think went wrong? Should I have cooked them much longer than I did? I cut out smallish reindeer shapes, and they darkened around the edges. ;o)

asked almost 4 years ago

I took a look at the recipe, and all three of the sweetening options given are very hygroscopic, meaning that they will literally pull moisture out of the air. That's one of the reasons high fructose corn syrup is such a darling to commercial bakeries: it give those super-sticky muffins a loooooooong shelf life. Given the relatively high humidity where you live, softening of these cookies is inevitable unless you hermetically seal them. Beautiful photo, by the way.

Well, this is good to know. Thanks for the quick reply! I made Amanda's mother's cut out cookies (which use only white sugar) the same day, and they are so crisp that they're rock hard, though they've been stored in exactly the same conditions. I'm actually not that crazy about the flavor of these gingerbread cookies -- personal preference, not that there's anything particularly wrong with the recipe -- so I'll probably go back to my Americanized Lebkuchen, when I don't require a vegan cookie. They're not crispy, but are more sort of chewy-hard. ;o)

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I noticed that there's a lot of baking soda in the recipe (1.5 teaspoons) relative to the amount of flour. Even for a cake, when there are acidic ingredients like molasses, you only need 1/4 teaspoon per cup of flour. I think that's why they've plumped up so much.