dover sole

I want to make Sole à La Meunière Recipe for Christmas Eve dinner and I know I won't be able to get Dover sole. Any suggestions for what fish would make a good substitution?

asked by Julia child almost 6 years ago

broccolirose
broccolirose

Natalie is a recipe tester for Food52.

It looks like you can substitute other white fish for sole such as flounder, orange roughy or cod. I also saw online that sand dab is another good substitute but I'm not sure how easy that is to find!

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Flounder or fluke are your best bets, but halibut, skate wing or snapper would work also.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

I use flounder more frequently than I use sole because sole can be so expensive. You can use the basic technique with any white, flaky fish filet.

Depends on where you are. Hopefully you have a good seafood source--ask them for the best flatfish from your area. Or if there isn't one, the best white-fleshed fish. Just saying "flounder" or "fluke" or "sole" can lead to confusion. They are all flatfish, but some are a lot better than others.