🔕 🔔

elastic, gluey pudding

I just made a blancmange, and I'm not sure whether it was the skim milk or too much cornstarch, but now it's cooled to an unappetizing gluey, elastic texture. Is there a way to save this-heating and thinning with some heavy cream or more skim, or is this a lost cause?

asked by brooklynite over 3 years ago
8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

The blanc mange I'm familiar with chills in the fridge for an hour to firm up. Perhaps that's what you need to do

It isn't that the pudding is loose, but its very odd texture; it wants to be one mass. When I lifted a spoonful several inches above the bowl, the pudding was stretched between the mass in the bowl and the spoon. Thanks for your suggestion-I'll try it, but I suspect that the pudding is beyond repair!

It may have suffered from the skim milk. Whole milk's higher fat ratio creates a smoother effect. Too, as soon as it comes off the heat, it should be poured into ramekins, or whatever serving vessels you want to use. That way it can set up in the refrigerator in a way that it is ready to finish off and serve, so that you avoid trying to portion something gluey. Persevere!