Pumpkin Pudding and dairy allergie

Allergic to lactose and normally just use Lactaid milk in any recipe that calls for milk. For the pumpkin pudding can I use Lactaid instead of evaporated milk or will it ruin the consistency of the pudding?

asked by Naomie almost 3 years ago

Caroline Lange

hi naomi! you could try using canned coconut milk in place of evaporated milk! it should work just fine, since it's a little thicker than dairy milk. (just make sure to shake the can well!)

It is easy to convert from evaporated milk to full fluid milk (add water), but hard to do the reverse (cook the milk down).
Suggest you start with a recipe that doesn't use evaporated milk, like this one:
http://mamasweeds.com/2011/11/25/yes-you-can-make-pumpkin-pie-without-evaporated-milk/