How come my italian meatballs are never tender,am I cooking them too long?

asked by gino61 over 7 years ago

I find that mixing in some milk-soaked bread makes my meatballs moist. Soak your bread, then squeeze out the excess milk (discard milk) and mix in the bread with the meat mixture.

gino61

Thank You, i was using bread crumbs from the box.

pastaman

Mix in 4 slices of water soaked white bread (discard the ends) to a pound of ground beef. Add fresh ingredients: 4 small chopped cloves, fresh ground garlic, chopped parsley, and 8 teaspoons of pecorino romano grated cheese. Mix beef, ingredients with 2 eggs and form meat balls. Brown meatballs in olive oil then add to your gravy (sauce). Cook gravy for 2 hours.

IIf you use whole wheat bread, they will not be tender. White bread is the key.

campagnes

I like the milk/bread idea. I often use milk and oatmeal.. about 1/2 cup quick oats and 3/4 cup milk. The oatmeal mimics the texture of the ground beef, and you never know it's there.

usuba dashi

Also, the more you mix it the more you bring out the protein in the meat that can over bind the meatballs. But the panade (fresh bread crumbs & milk) idea is the way to go.

usuba dashi is right, be gentle with your meat balls. :)

nutcakes

Try Rocco's Mama meatballs they are moist, it includes chicken stock. It calls for plain breadcrumbs. I make fresh ones by buzzing white bread (pepperridge farms, not balloon bread) in the blender.
http://www.roccodispirito...