🔕 🔔

How come my italian meatballs are never tender,am I cooking them too long?

asked by gino61 about 7 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I find that mixing in some milk-soaked bread makes my meatballs moist. Soak your bread, then squeeze out the excess milk (discard milk) and mix in the bread with the meat mixture.

Thank You, i was using bread crumbs from the box.

Mix in 4 slices of water soaked white bread (discard the ends) to a pound of ground beef. Add fresh ingredients: 4 small chopped cloves, fresh ground garlic, chopped parsley, and 8 teaspoons of pecorino romano grated cheese. Mix beef, ingredients with 2 eggs and form meat balls. Brown meatballs in olive oil then add to your gravy (sauce). Cook gravy for 2 hours.

IIf you use whole wheat bread, they will not be tender. White bread is the key.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

I like the milk/bread idea. I often use milk and oatmeal.. about 1/2 cup quick oats and 3/4 cup milk. The oatmeal mimics the texture of the ground beef, and you never know it's there.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

Also, the more you mix it the more you bring out the protein in the meat that can over bind the meatballs. But the panade (fresh bread crumbs & milk) idea is the way to go.

usuba dashi is right, be gentle with your meat balls. :)

Try Rocco's Mama meatballs they are moist, it includes chicken stock. It calls for plain breadcrumbs. I make fresh ones by buzzing white bread (pepperridge farms, not balloon bread) in the blender.
http://www.roccodispirito...