🔕 🔔

Meatballs! Oh pierino, wherefore art thou? And any other PicklePals, Italian or not. I'm taking a poll about meatballs for pasta with red sauce, not the Swedish or Middle Eastern types. No recipes, please, just the facts.

1: From what do you make your meatballs? Ground beef, a mixture of meats, what?

2: How big do you make them?

3. How do you cook them? Saute, bake, poach or simmer in water or broth, dropped right into the sauce?

This isn't to settle an argument or anything like that--I'm just curious.

asked by betteirene over 6 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Mixed ground meats: beef, veal, pork. Either small or big. Small (1-inch) if you want them to integrate. Big (2 inches) if you want to make a fun visual statement. Saute if someone else is cleaning the stove. Bake if I'm cleaning the stove.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Sometimes a mix of beef, veal and pork, and often just beef. I usually make mine on the smaller side to, as Amanda put it, integrate. Maybe 1 inch diameter or a little bigger? And I usually don't bake for red sauce, though I do for other types of meatballs. I par-pan fry and then drop them in the simmering sauce for a while. Thinking about it has me craving some now!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Usually a mix of veal/beef/pork, but sometimes all beef; for old school Italian/American spag and meatballs, around 1.5" (maybe a little bigger if I'm sipping wine while rolling them); sear them in a skillet, then finish cooking in sauce to add flavor to it.

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Equal mix of chuck, pork and veal; prefer them small (1-inch), but medium is okay too. I like to brown them, so either sauté or bake -- then simmer in sauce!

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

2 parts beef, one park pork, one part veal. Ping-pong ball to golf ball sized. Baked. Mine get lopsided when I saute them, anyway, and baking is just lots simpler.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

1. Beef only

2. Smallish - that way I can eat more of them at once!

3. Brown on the stove or in the oven, depends on my mood, then stick in the tomato sauce to finish cooking.

I do the beef, veal, pork mix and bake them. They seem to stay together better with less handling.

Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

Jimmy Dean makes a delicious green label bulk Italian sausage mix that makes tender meatballs with no bread filler.I have only found it at Publix . It is worth seeking for your MB's...ch

693453b7 7e84 4b19 b610 d1ec77bbc42d  halloween

We use either all beef or the beef-veal-pork combo- and we put raisins and pignolis in them. :) Also- sometimes we fry and sometimes we bake. The stove always ends up a mess from cooking the sauce all day anyway. :)

Here's another vote for beef, pork, and veal. I used to bake them. It was quicker and easier, and I used the excuse that they were just as good. Then I browned them in a frying pan and got hooked. If you have the time and patience, it is worth it.