🔕 🔔

How can mold grow on food in the freezer?

I had corn tortillas stored in a zip-lock plastic bag in my freezer for a couple of weeks. When I got them out today, they were moldy! I put them in the freezer to prevent that problem; what happened?

asked by Bobette about 5 years ago

Wholefoods user icon

There are some bacteria/ molds that grow at certain temperatures. The one that causes the most food spoilage occurs at the medium range of 68-113 Farenheit range. These bacteria are known as mesophiles. They have molds and bacteria that grows at even hotter temperatures or in your case, colder (psychophiles aka cold-lovers). Either that, or it is just a collection of unknown materia (could be from packaging dye scrapings) that collected on the ice. Hope that helps.

I'd say your freezer doesn't work properly. To check, put in ice cubes in a bag / box, and check them. Once they aren't cubes anymore your freezer (and its contents) thawed.

added about 1 month ago

The same thing has happened to me, twice, but only with the same brand of tortillas. (Trader Joes, I believe). It has also happened with their sourdough bread. I have bought these items fresh and put them in the freezer anywhere from right away, to within 24 hours. My freezer was working properly without any malfunctions. I am also wondering what would cause it?