🔕 🔔

Seeking a simple gingerbread waffle recipe

I have a craving for waffles and gingerbread this morning, looking for a simple, country farm house style recipe for waffles that I can whip up quick. Something a bit more rustic than all these fancy waffle recipes that google gave me. Something I don't have to run out to the shop to buy an armload of ingredients to make. Something with tiny chunks of ginger in it would be even better.

I have eggs, milk, flour, regular baking stuff in the house, spices, and fresh ginger. How do I combine them to make a recipe for gingerbread waffles four 2 to 4 people?

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 5 years ago

D347253b 88e5 4ba1 ab1b 7b10260231b2  stringio

I make these Gingerbread waffles for my granddaughter.

Sweet Dreams Gingerbread Waffles

This can also be made into pancakes. My waffle iron makes a round waffle approximately 6 1/2-inch diameter. Baking times vary by capacity of your waffle iron and temperature.

1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Large pinch salt
2 Tbs. sugar
3 Tbs. brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbs. ground ginger (Do Not substitute fresh)
2 tsp. cinnamon
Pinch nutmeg
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup melted butter, slightly cooled
1 1/2 cups milk (room temp)
In a medium mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (including sugars) and whisk thoroughly to blend.

Whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry.

In a small bowl, mix the egg yolks, molasses, melted butter and milk. Stir well. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg yolk mixture. Mix well. Fold in the egg whites. The batter will look glossy and fluffy.

Bake in waffle iron as per manufacturer’s directions (i.e., a light will go off when they're done, etc.). Alternatively, griddle on a hot greased pan for pancakes.

Serve with butter, powdered sugar, maple syrup or fruit preserves. Guaranteed to induce sweet dreams, or at least repair any trauma left by the bad ones.

Yield: About 7 Waffles
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source of recipe: Chiffonade

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

For 'tiny chunks of ginger' you can chop up crystalized ginger to the size you envision and add it to the batter -- or fold it into a whipped cream or yogurt sauce.