🔕 🔔

When to make desserts

I'm making a gingerbread dark molasses cake (from the book Cook Fight; fairly simple one-layer cake) and a simple chocolate whiskey tart (from the book Baked Elements; it's essentially a french silk pie, from what I can tell) for Christmas. Would it be too soon to make one or both of these today instead of Monday?

asked by WannabeBaker almost 5 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

I'd say go forth on the molasses cake -- that one may even improve with age. (If you're nervous, freeze it and bring back down to room temp the day of.) If the other is like a French silk pie, I'd be worried about it getting soggy if you made it too far in advance. I might save that for making closer to Christmas.

I agree with Kenzi on both counts. You're fine to go ahead a prepare the molasses cake in advance. Molasses is an invert sugar (basically, a sugar which remains in solution); invert sugars are very hygroscopic, meaning that they will pull moisture out of the atmosphere and guarantee long-term tenderness as a result. The lovely pie, though, I'd save for Monday for best results.

Awesome, thanks guys! It's good to know I can get at least one of my desserts out of the way now - will make my life a lot easier on Monday!