How to decide on a sharpening stone!

I mostly have Wusthof Classic knives and am wondering what sharpening stone I can use? There's a lot of different brands on the market and would love some suggestions!

asked by The Fiery Epicurean over 3 years ago
516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Get a two-sided Japanese stone, usually 1,000 grit on one side and 300 on the other. Use with mineral oil. I think Amazon have some. The usual hardware store ones are not fine enough (unless you get 1,000 grit).
Consider taking it to a good sushi house and ask for a lesson. Make an appointment and Go before they open for dinner and take a gift.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

The Japanese stones are made to be used with water, not oil. Amazon has a good selection of synthetic water stones. A natural water stone is very expensive, but is the best. It is best to get the 1,000/6,000 stone. I would highly recommend getting a book on Japanese knives that explains techniques and science of sharpening. You will have greater success if you do and an edge that lasts for weeks. I was taught 40 years ago by a Japanese chef how to sharpen knives . . . I can shave with the edge after sharpening ever time.

C4c10cd5 69e8 4d54 b39c c5870da2826b  james joyce 1

Please keep in mind though, that the bevel on Japanese knives is different from Western knives. If your collection is Wusthoff you may not want to follow Japanese technique. If it's still in print an excellent book on the subject is "The Professional Chef's Knife Kit" from CIA, published by Wiley.

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

we use and have been extremely pleased with a less expensive version of the Edge Pro (my husband calls ours the Edge Faux). We use both Japanese and German knives so you have to change the angle of the sharpening stone but the blades are incredibly sharp afterwards. I highly recommend Edge in the Kitchen by Chad Ward too- it's a great book about knives, sharpening, sharpening stones, etc.