A question about a recipe: Chocolate Dump-It Cake

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Dump-It Cake" from amanda. I don't have cider vinegar. Could I substitute buttermilk for the milk and vinegar, or does the vinegar serve another purpose?

• Posted by: Devi
  • January 19, 2013
33901f8b dab8 4ac5 8d01 7bf897aa6a96  2015 0122 chocolate dump it cake james ransom 008
Recipe question for: Chocolate Dump-It Cake

nutcakes
nutcakes January 19, 2013

Yes you can use buttermilk. The vinegar adds acid as does the buttermilk, to react with the baking soda.

Elizabeth Rex
Elizabeth Rex January 20, 2013

When I made it, I didn't have any cider vinegar in my house either (or milk, for that matter, so I subbed half & half). Instead, I had rice vinegar. The resulting cake came out pretty tasty. Unless Amanda can tell us if the cider vinegar is essential, I'd say go with your substitution if that's all you've got. I figure that for the teaspoon the recipe calls for, the change won't cause too much chaos to the final product.