A question about a recipe: Chocolate Dump-It Cake

C0199746 f437 4f81 bd1e 801b00c804f3  dump it cake

I have a question about the recipe "Chocolate Dump-It Cake" from amanda. I don't have cider vinegar. Could I substitute buttermilk for the milk and vinegar, or does the vinegar serve another purpose?

asked by Devi about 4 years ago

Yes you can use buttermilk. The vinegar adds acid as does the buttermilk, to react with the baking soda.

B2ed5b9a 1b6d 4720 9a36 ffe78b9f2a1a  gobblegobble

When I made it, I didn't have any cider vinegar in my house either (or milk, for that matter, so I subbed half & half). Instead, I had rice vinegar. The resulting cake came out pretty tasty. Unless Amanda can tell us if the cider vinegar is essential, I'd say go with your substitution if that's all you've got. I figure that for the teaspoon the recipe calls for, the change won't cause too much chaos to the final product.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.