🔕 🔔

What's the best way to make vegan mashed potatoes? I have vegan "butter" if that helps.

asked by Genene over 6 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I use vegan butter and plain or unsweetened soymilk. Most people can't tell the difference, especially if you roast a few cloves of garlic and mash those into them as well. Dashes of rosemary and salt don't hurt either.

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Making a rich vegetable stock to sub in for the milk/cream would probably do more for the flavor than vegan butter. You could also thread in caramelized onions and/or roasted garlic, a la this recipe: http://bit.ly/bChAIB

Caa6b52d 32ad 4a37 ad9e 69decf13dcbc  020910f 0735

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

I actually love olive oil mashed potatoes, too - just beat or whip it in while you finish mashing until you have the texture you want.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Just season well the water the potatoes cook in with salt, pepper, some garlic to cook along with the potatoes, perhaps some herbs. Then, when you drain the potatoes, reserve the water (which has become vegetable broth). When you mash the potatoes, beat the warm liquid back in. You won't even need oil or "butter," but you could add it if you wish.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

My husband doesn't like butter in his mashed potatoes (I know...go figure) so I recently gently poached several garlic cloves in olive oil for a long time till they were soft (like making a confit) and mashed them and the olive oil in with the potatoes. I stirred in a little of the potato water to thin them. Lots of salt and pepper. They were really good!

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I like to use a combo of olive oil and stock.