How long should I could a 9 lb turkey? And what can I substitute for creme fraich in a recipe?

asked by Barbara Senchesak almost 8 years ago

casa-giardino

Turkey - about 4 hours.

gingerroot

If unstuffed, 3-3 1/2 hours or if stuffed 3 3/4-4 1/2 hours at 325 degrees. Turkey is cooked when meat thermometer placed deep in the thigh registers 180 degrees and juices run clear.

For the creme fraiche, my first thought was mascarpone, but I suppose it depends on what you are planning to make with it. I found this helpful: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/creme-fraiche-substitute.html

healthierkitchen

On the creme fraiche, what is it you want to avoid? If it's dairy entirely, you can try a little stock and maybe a little lemon zest depending on the dish. If dairy is OK, you could try some full fat Greek yogurt or even 2%.