🔕 🔔

How to cook 3 lb turkey breast roast

Hi! I usually do a stuffed turkey breast roll for thanksgiving for my husband and I. This year, I accidentally ordered a turkey breast roast instead of a regular turkey breast. It's very....round. Doesn't seem like it would work for my usual roll, and I want to try something different this year anyway! It's 2.77 lbs, and literally a round ball of turkey. It's boneless.

I'd like to brine it tonight and cook it tomorrow. I can prepare the stuffing separately, but any recommendations on how long to cook and at what temp? Would any brine recipe work (just adjusted for the size?)

asked by kristin 10 months ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Interesting, haven't seen one of those! Is it boned and tied into a cylinder? Skin-on? I prefer a dry brine to wet, and I'm sure you could follow the salt ratio here: https://food52.com/recipes... (i.e. sprinkle on a couple teaspoons of kosher salt tonight and stick it in a ziploc bag)

I see, you did say it was boneless. But tied? If so, nice of the butcher, and should help it to cook evenly.

Thanks for your help!
It's in a weird net bag, so I guess that's how it's keeping its nice round shape. (It's this one: https://www.freshdirect...) I haven't taken it out yet... I'm not even sure if it has skin.

Would that Judy Bird recipe work even if it's not the full bird? How do I know which side is up if it's a ball of bird? :)

Dc7459d4 8180 4265 a306 1bbf99cfc6ea  img 1266

Ah yes! I think I see some skin in there. The Judy Bird recipe works great for any shape of meat—it will just brine more effectively in a shorter period of time, and cook much quicker. And you can just salt the whole thing evenly, maybe a little more on the skin (lighter-colored) parts.