How long should I cook a 12lb turkey? I will be stuffing the turkey.

asked by Donna Fazio almost 8 years ago

chefdaniel

Stuffing your turkey is going to slow down the process. I really do not like people stuffing their turkeys. Get a meat thermometer from WalMart or a place like that. Make sure the internal temperature in the thigh (stay away from the bone) and the breast is 165 degrees. Allow about 25 minutes per pound but that varies by oven and location.

casa-giardino

4 hours

nutcakes

When you stuff a turkey it takes longer to cook because you have to make sure that the stuffing temperature reaches 165 so you don't make people sick. So check the stuffing temp as well as the turkey temp. So it inevitably means that your turkey will be overcooked with a dry breast.

The USDA chart says about 3 hours, but if you go by temperature, you will know when it is done and not over or undercooked.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov...