🔕 🔔

Macaroons

I have tried and failed to make macaroons about a million times! I thought I had finally mastered them - but although the shells looked perfect. After they had cooled I realised they were completely stuck to the bottom of my paper. What did I do wrong? They either rise and crack or this. Why I can't I master them? I use Italian meringue method.

asked by Popcake over 4 years ago

1159112d e9d2 47a5 aa03 ccf4491917f1  img 9977
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

What recipe are you using? Kathryn Gordon's "Les Petits Macarons" is a great guide! Also, I would recommend trying silpats for macarons as opposed to parchment paper.

I know what you're talking about... I tried Pierre herme and Francois payard's macaron recipes, each macaron gods in the pastry world, but I ended up using Alice Meldrich'a recipe from ooey, gooey, crispy, crunchy and preferring it. She owns a bakery in Berkeley but she does a lot of recipe testing for herself, other cookbooks, and other companies (I.e. Sharffebberger chocolate) so I have found all of her recipes thus far to be extremely precise, reliable, and well-conceived.

Alternatively, you can also use Bryan Voltaggio's modern macaron recipe that allowsor more flavor adaptations since it relies on methyl cellulose f50 and albumin powder I leaven rather than egg whites. He uses a dehydrator, but you can get away with putting your oven on low an turning it off.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I found this video by Gesine Bullock-Prado to be very helpful when I took a stab at making macaroons. She has a full ingredient list in her book, Sugar Baby.

http://vimeo.com/20498796

Here is the actual recipe: http://www.today.com/id...

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I recently used Bouchon Bakery's recipe (and it was only the second time I've ever made macarons), and it worked fabulously! Be sure to use the right kind of almond flour--very fine and blanched. Nuts.com has reasonably priced almond flour.