Italian meringue split after making

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me. Made a batch of Italian meringue as I have many times, looked good consistency nice and smooth and glossy. Placed in a piping bag for a few hours at room temp and when I went to pipe it out it had split. Any ideas where I went wrong? Thanks

drbabs December 6, 2016

Overbeaten egg whites? Here's an article that might help you:
http://www.seriouseats...

Gloria Peters
Gloria Peters August 9, 2018

I don't think you've done anything wrong. The same thing happens to me whenever I make Italian or Swiss meringue ahead of time. I just think meringues need to be made and used immediately (or made into buttercream).

boulangere August 11, 2018

I agree with Gloria. Italian meringue is the most stable of the meringues, but it still has a shelf life. When I worked with a catering company, we would send Italian meringue out on a job, loaded into piping bags, but it would be piped onto desserts within a couple of hours. Longer than that wasn't an option.