Italian or Swiss Meringue Buttercream

I know the difference in making Italian as opposed to swiss meringue buttercream but is there a real difference in the finished product? I usually use the swiss meringue recipe but recently read how wonderful the Italian buttercream is. Does adding hot sugar syrup really make that big of a difference in the buttercream.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I've made both, and I find them very similar. I don't know if this makes sense but I find Italian meringue buttercream to be a little more marshmallow-y and Swiss meringue buttercream a little more fluff-like. But, they're both fluffy, buttery, and sweet to a very similar degree. The difference is much more subtle, texturally, than huge. Italian meringue buttercream does supposedly hold up a little bit better. But, I made them both last summer in 97 degree 98% humidity type of weather (the trouble with summer birthdays...), and neither of them wanted to hold up terribly well in that kind of heat.

Thanks Emily, I wondered if one held up better and would pipe better than the other. It sounds like the Italian might but like you said there is really not an appreciable difference. I have made 7 minute frosting and it holds up very well but that doesn't have the butter. Thanks again,