A question about a recipe: 1840 Farm Pancakes

68b9894d 3841 4f94 b4dc d8af3cbd8d08  jihw sgq iyuy3ciryxcqfbllf50useba5jfcght60m

I have a question about the recipe "1840 Farm Pancakes" from 1840farm. Can I use other vinegar instead? I rarely find apple cider vinegar in Japan.

asked by Asaka Fushimi almost 6 years ago

You could use rice vinegar, even distilled white vinegar. I assume that the yogurt in the recipe plus the vinegar is to sour the milk, mostly for a tangy flavor. (You probably could get away with using water for the vinegar. Or, if you can get brown rice vinegar, that would be closer to the cider vinegar flavor.)

Asaka Fushimi

thank you so much for the answer. that is very helpful, I will try to do with brown rice vinegar!

1840 Farm

You could certainly use a white vinegar or brown rice vinegar as mentioned above. I always have apple cider vinegar on hand, so that is what I use. I hope that you enjoy the pancakes and would love to hear how they turned out!

ChezHenry

Yes, of course. In addition to the flavor "tang" boost, the primary reason for the vinegar addition is to boost the leavening power of the baking soda/powder to create a lighter, fluffier pancake.