🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: 1840 Farm Pancakes

68b9894d 3841 4f94 b4dc d8af3cbd8d08  jihw sgq iyuy3ciryxcqfbllf50useba5jfcght60m

I have a question about the recipe "1840 Farm Pancakes" from 1840farm. Can I use other vinegar instead? I rarely find apple cider vinegar in Japan.

asked by Asaka Fushimi over 4 years ago

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

You could use rice vinegar, even distilled white vinegar. I assume that the yogurt in the recipe plus the vinegar is to sour the milk, mostly for a tangy flavor. (You probably could get away with using water for the vinegar. Or, if you can get brown rice vinegar, that would be closer to the cider vinegar flavor.)

36079442 fd40 4ad2 848c 78ae8cdd7667  stringio

thank you so much for the answer. that is very helpful, I will try to do with brown rice vinegar!

013715a0 c43d 4cdb 9c13 13be61bf5000  1840farmeggsbutton

You could certainly use a white vinegar or brown rice vinegar as mentioned above. I always have apple cider vinegar on hand, so that is what I use. I hope that you enjoy the pancakes and would love to hear how they turned out!

Yes, of course. In addition to the flavor "tang" boost, the primary reason for the vinegar addition is to boost the leavening power of the baking soda/powder to create a lighter, fluffier pancake.