Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »
🔕 🔔

Question about Risotto Rosso

I am planning on making risotto rosso for a dinner party and I wonder if I can make it ahead of time and reheat it, or will that result in a starchy, overcooked risotto? If I should not make ahead and reheat, are there a way to partially complete the dish in advance?

asked by Kelly Anderson almost 4 years ago
516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I'm not a huge fan of risotto rosso because the color often is not appetizing - but you might consider adding some beet juice to make it a nice rich red color ! A couple tablespoons will not alter the flavor while adding great color to the final product.

And yes, as above, even the best Italian restaurants pre-cook and re-heat.

Yes, cook just more than half way, still firm and crunchy but increased in size 50% from absorption, remove from heat and cool in a shallow pan. When ready, preheat stock and add risotto to finish.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.