A question about a recipe: Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili

00b2399c ea9b 4a4e bbbc f4bdc94c9e24  3yeyhpo7fj tel fn b8oizkcioi0dndaw7pz ogs70

I have a question about the recipe "Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili" from Gena Hamshaw. Can you offer a substitution for chipotle pepper en adobo (whatever that is) for those of us in Europe / Australia / Asia? I have chipotle powder?

asked by Joanne51 over 5 years ago

Chipotle in adobo are dried peppers canned in a tomato sauce. You can substitute with any dried peppers that will give you the level of "heat" you'd like

Joanne51

Do you mean chillies? Dried chillies?

Chris Hagan

Joanne--
According to the McCormick web site, approximately 1/2 tsp chipotle powder is an acceptable substitute for 1 large canned pepper: http://www.mccormickgourmet...

I would also add a chili that is smoked.

...jalapenos, smoked, sauced.

Look in the foreign foods section of a large grocery store. I am pretty sure I have seen them in Germany.

petitbleu

You might also consider making your own "mock" chipotles en adobo. To make the real thing, you'd need to find red jalapeños, smoke them, and then sauce them. However, I'll wager you could make a version of this with chipotle powder, garlic, catsup, and perhaps some toasted and ground spices like cumin and coriander. A bit more effort, but it should get you close to the flavor profile of canned chipotles en adobo.