🔕 🔔

I just made a HUGE batch of stuffing to serve about 100 people for a Thanksgiving dinner at work tomorrow. I used challah bread, butter, onions, carrots, celery, sage and chicken broth, and some salt and pepper but it seems to be lacking in flavor. Unfortunately, I'm not able to put it in the turkey. Any suggestions on how to spice up the recipe a bit and add more flavor? It seems to be lacking.

asked by samantha_peller almost 7 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

More onions, garlic, sage, salt and pepper. More herbs--maybe thyme and rosemary. Saute some mushrooms in butter and stir them in.

I agree. Sounds like you just need to add more of everything.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I agree with drbabs, increase your aromatics. In addition consider adding some sauteed cubes of apple, caramelized onions, or toasted nuts. I am assuming you are keeping this vegetarian, but you could add some soyrizo or other vegetarian sausage as well.

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

Try a bouillon cube to liven the stock (if it's not homemade and you're adding more) also, maybe some apples, or sausage? It may also taste better tomorrow after having the flavors meld tonight.

Since you used chicken broth, I guess it's not vegetarian. In that case consider some sausage or bacon.

34b35e7d 9f0b 412e bbb2 00e0498f86d5  2016 10 06 19 40 38

Mushrooms might help as well, either roasted/sauteed or reconstituted dried mushrooms, chopped and stirred through. Or a shower of grated parmesan on top!

I love this website! It is amazing how many people responded so quickly! I feel greatly supported in my food endeavor! Wow! Thanks everyone!

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

I don't have a suggestion to share - only that reading about your stuffing and seeing everyone's suggestions makes me want to swan-dive headfirst into said stuffing. :) Sounds delicious.. hope it comes out great.

i would definetely go with adding sausage i wouldn't go without sausage or apple along with the afore mentioned aromatics in my stuffing. if you cant have pork theres always veal , turkey, or chicken sausage its the spices in the sausage that give a nice flavor

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Challah really sucks up the flavor for some reason. I'd definitely add more stock
(definitely not low-sodium) with some coarse ground pepper and additional sage, marjoram and thyme (or poultry seasoning) stirred into the stock before mixing it into the stuffing. You need the stock to help distribute the spices/herbs evenly through the stuffing, but don't use so much that the stuffing turns into bread soup, and mix it all together with a light hand.

Just before serving, sprinkle it lightly with a good coarse salt.