Any suggestions for how to serve foie gras mousse? Accompaniments? Same question for duck confit---serving ideas?

lastnightsdinner
lastnightsdinner November 23, 2010

For the duck confit, are you serving whole legs or is it a rillette/pate? We typically sear the legs in our iron skillet in their own fat until the skin is browned and crisp, and serve with duck fat fried or roasted potatoes and a big green salad with mustard vinaigrette. For a rillette or pate, I love serving with plenty of sliced baguette, a good sharp Dijon and/or wholegrain mustard, and cornichons. Foie gras mousse is much more delicate and I want it to be the star, so typically I'll serve with sliced baguette or plain water crackers, and perhaps some grapes, fresh figs, or slices of tart apple.

stinkycheese
stinkycheese November 23, 2010

Wow, thank you. Great suggestions. Sorry, I should've specified the confit is whole legs. I'm looking forward to trying your ideas. Happy Thanksgiving!

Greenstuff November 23, 2010

lastnightsdinner has it exactly right with the seared duck leg confit, potatoes and green salad and vinegrette. Be sure to use a good mustard (Dijon--the same one you're having with the pate) and a good olive oil. Though walnut or another nut oil would also be a good choice. Sometimes the meat tends to come off the leg bones when you sear them, but just scrape up everything to serve--a little messy but still delicious.

Greenstuff November 23, 2010

Hey stinky cheese, I just checked your profile, and it mentioned that one of the things you'd most like to eat is cassoulet. A perfect use for duck confit! It's a lot of work, but worth it.

amysarah November 23, 2010

Looks like you already got the lowdown on the confit (a small salad with vinaigrette is essential, I think - it cuts the richness of the confit perfectly.)

In terms of the foie gras mousse, I agree about keeping it simple, all you need is thin slices of good baguette, maybe lightly toasted...unless you want to splurge a little, in which case a glass of sauternes is the classic accompaniment - really a delicious combination.

pierino November 24, 2010

I'm going with lastnightsdinner's answer as well. Toasted crusty bread and plenty of it. And ditto on the cornichons and mustard.