Help I'm baking bread. How do I tell if its done?

asked by Sim,Blaustein over 5 years ago

Kenzi Wilbur

I like to rely on a few different cues. The first is color: most breads, when done, will be a nice golden- to deep-brown color. You can also tap it -- if the loaf sounds slightly hollow, it's done! Finally, if you want to be really sure, use a thermometer. An enriched bread (like a sandwich loaf or roll) will be done when the internal temperature is anywhere between 185°F to 190°F. Hearth breads (wet doughs and no-knead breads), should bake until they reach at least 205°F.

Good advice from Kenzi! The more you bake bread, the easier it will be to tell when it's done. I turn the loaf upside down and tap the bottom if I'm wondering. Not a bad rule of thumb is to leave it in an extra 5 minutes when you think it's done. That extra 5 minutes won't hurt it, and sometimes is the difference...