Breading falls off chicken

I made coconut chicken the other day. It looked great and tasted amazing, but the breading kept falling off. I dredged the chicken first in cornstarch, then in an egg/coconut milk mixture (about a 50/50 ratio) with a bit of lime juice and salt. I then coated it in a panko/sweetened coconut flake breading. The breading stuck to the chicken just fine during baking, but going to slice it, the breading just fell off.

I can't figure out where I went wrong because I followed the process properly- flour/cornstarch, milk/egg, then breading. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

BerryBaby May 5, 2018

Maybe it was too hot when you cut it?

ChefJune May 7, 2018

I'm a little confused. Did you bread a whole chicken? If you did, I don't think I'd ever expect it to stay on when serving the chicken. Or are we talking about separate pieces?
When you fry chicken, a percentage of the breading falls off of the piece while it's being eaten.