🔕 🔔

More broth.

Hi Harry,
For a perfect risotto, the stock that you add needs to be hot; also, if the risotto that you describe is the result of a recipe followed to the T, that add a little more stock than the recipe mentions. Also, to get a very creamy risotto, use mascarpone for the most of the Parmigiano Reggiano quantity and use more of the latest for serving! Hope that next time you will get your risotto right! Good luck!

050d0b0b 8457 4067 969c c90371efb53d  holiday dinner stock 680uw

I made my risotto last night exactly the way Elena described and it came out perfectly. I also toast the arborio rice in some butter for a couple if minutes until opaque before adding the first liquid. I forget why, but that is supposed to help the final consistency as well.

There is no need to use mascarpone in risotto unless you want a gluey texture. It's important to use Arborio rice; to have your stock hot before starting out, and to add enough of that stock so that the results are "wavy" -- that is like waves on an ocean. (In Italian they say "al onde.") The Parmigiano doesn't get stirred in until the risotto is off the heat. It adds little to the texture but much to the flavor. (also be sure to use GOOD Parmesan -- none of that stuff in the green can!)

oops, I forgot to mention the importance of adding the hot stock in ladlesful, and stirring until all of it is incorporated into the dish before adding the next.