4 lbs of lemons

A client of mine just gave me a big bag of lemons fresh from her tree, and I'd love some ideas for how to use them in large batches. I'm interested in ideas for savory dishes; I'm not so much of a sweets-cook. Thanks in advance!

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

HinOh

Limoncello! While it's not a savory dish, you could make the lemons do double duty by using the zest from a bunch of them. Depending on which recipe you use you'll have it ready by summertime.

Droplet

Make a few different batches of lemon dresing for salads, roasted potatoes with lemons and oregano, a few batches of fresh ricotta...they do keep for a long time of stored in a cool place.

You'll find a hundred good ideas for Meyer lemons here: http://www.latimes.com...

But I, however, would make the pickled lemons with ginger, mustard and allspice (made with tarragon vinegar!) from an early nineteenth century recipe adapted by Anne Willan in her marvelous recent book, "The Cookbook Library: Four Centuries of the Cooks, Writers, and Recipes That Made the Modern Cookbook." ;o)

Droplet

Also, Lemon Risotto is great.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

These are all great suggestions! And Antonia James, the recipe you mention sounds amazing! I thought of preserved lemons, but as I'm not terribly experienced with the types of cuisines that traditionally use them, thus far I've been a little reticent. Maybe now is the time...

IlovePhilly

You can do it! They really go well with just about anything. They brighten any rice or grain dish, give spirit to soup, and make for excellent dips, dressings and sauces. If you want them to be their most versatile, just use lemons and salt with no extra spices or seasonings. They are delicious that way and really, really simple to make. Easy to add other flavors to an individual dish later.

I would make Moroccan cured lemons. takes about a month and lasts forever. Homegrown lemons are wonderful because they lack the wax or lacquer coating you get in store-bought.

You could try swapping the lemons for mangos in a chutney (or combining the two): http://food52.com/recipes...
Lemon marmalade is great: http://www.epicurious.com...

SallyBroff

Lemon marmalade is fantastic and really easy to make.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for the encouragement, ILP! I think I will try it (plus some of the other suggestions as well). I just want to check first: there's no danger of botulism while the lemons are pickling at room temp, right? I read that they're way too acidic and salty and would need to have been canned using a water bath for that to be possible, correct?

Flavor Drizzles

Correct Kristen, Salt is a preservative and lemons have been prepared this way for many centuries by cavitations. The lemons (try other citrus; limes, oranges, etc) will be ready after one month of preserving, and will last for about 2 years. Remember, if you make these, that you must use sea salt not table salt -- table salt is very harsh and will not produce a pleasant tasting preserved lemon. A bonus, the peels are edible.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm excited to try something new! I bought some kumquats yesterday -- maybe they're next...

IlovePhilly

Just adding my two cents. Botulism is not a problem for ferments (like preserved lemons). It isn't just the salt, but the fermentation-created acids and healthy bacteria that prevent botulism from thriving or surviving. The peels are the prized part of preserved citrus but the pulp is definitely edible, if a bit tart.
I'm not a huge fan of preserved kumquats (I'm only a big fan of them) because the skins are already edible on those, so you're not getting that much excitement out of fermenting them. But they taste freaking delicious, so go for it!

Simplyaok

I live in Fl and am afforded huge amounts of my favorite citrus. When the season is winding down I freeze them.. Never freeze them whole. They will turn to mush when defrosted although the juice is fine. You can quarter them and put on a cookie sheet and freeze then ziploc them. I like to zest them and keep in a jar (freeze). Juice them and freeze in ice cube trays. They last until the next season. Limoncello is a great idea and one of my favs.

WannabeBaker

If you're running out of ideas, you can freeze both lemon juice and zest. I don't know about you, but I use a TON of recipes that call for either or both. Zest the lemons, freeze that in a ziplock bag, and then squeeze them. Freeze the juice in measured amounts (I'd go with 2 T, as that's a common amount in recipes) in ice cube trays. When the juice is frozen, pop out of the trays and toss in another ziplock back and store in the freezer.

I was on the Saveur site and saw this article. Maybe some ideas to use your lemons. http://www.saveur.com/article... and this article (scroll down for the savory uses of menon http://www.saveur.com/article... Alao, Chicken/Veal Piccata, Avgolemono (Greek Lemon Chicken Soup) or lemon chicken. Roast Chicken with Saffron and Lemons sounds delish.