🔕 🔔

OK to asssemble apple strudel night before baking?

I'd like to assemble my strudel the night before, refrigerate, then bake in the morning? Will this work or will the bottom get too soggy? The apple/dried cranberry filling is cooked and drained before being rolled in phyllo.

asked by jeinde over 4 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

I think you might have a soggy dough in the morning even if the filling is drained

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I definately wouldn't do that with phyllo. However, you can bake it about 90 percent of the way and recrisp in a preheated oven in the morning- that works fairly well.By the way, strudel filling is not supposed to be cooked.

0022585b ac31 476f 99fb ddea69bdece6  fb avatar

Thanks, was afraid it might not work. By the way Droplet, why shouldn't filling be cooked? I have made this recipe quite a few times (plus a mushroom strudel where the filling is cooked) and it comes out great.

Well for mushroom strudel themushrooms definately need to be cooked. Traditional Austrian Apple Strudel uses sliced raw apples mixed with the spices/nuts/dried fruits per taste. That's how it is done in Germany too. But if you like it cooked, by all means do it so, it's your strudel :)

I have eaten a lot of apple strudel in Germany and Austria and I have NEVER seen it made with raw apple filling. In fact, I have seen the strudel being baked at my local Konditerei.

Wait . . . Do you mean, Droplet, that the raw apples are placed on the pastry, the strudel rolled up, and then placed in the oven?

Yep,Maedl, that's what I mean...that the apple filling isn't traditionally precooked before meeting the pastry. Make pastry, roll,stretch,arrange raw apple filling, roll, bake...

OK, got you! I couldn’t imagine a strudel served with the apples still raw!