🔕 🔔

My Basket ()

All questions

I'm making a chocolate cream pie and it says to force the mixture through a fine mesh sieve. I don't have one but I have a chinois. Will this

asked by Bill F over 4 years ago
3 answers 2676 views
8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

Monita is a Recipe Tester for Food52

added over 4 years ago

The chinois will be fine

Ad98e06c 39d8 45fa 8f6a 9bdd1ac0d423  lucys drawing cat 001
added over 4 years ago

It will work, but frankly my fave tool for pastry cream forcing, or removing any tiny bits from a mass of creamy stuff (picture an errant sugar grain in a mass of butter cream which must pipe through a fine fine tip) is a hosiery sock, AKA "knee high". These can be had for very little money and are avail at drug stores, dollar stores etc. Stretch the sock over a narrowish vessel- a pitcher, a large yogurt tub even, the elastic at the top of the sock will hold it in place, and load it full of cream. Remove the elastic from the vessel and hold the (now full of cream) sock in one hand, and the elastic part of the sock in the other. Make a sort of a grip around the top of the cream filled sock with your hand, and pull the sock through this grip OVER A BOWL. The cream will come out the mesh of the hosiery, the bits of sugar or overcooked egg will stay behind, leaving you with a very smooth mass of cream, icing, etc. I do understand that if you lack a sieve, you may also lack a hosiery sock, but maybe making pastry cream will be your new favorite thing to do, and you will stock up on cream and eggs and knee highs and be the pastry cream king of your community.

F8c5465c 5952 47d4 9558 8116c099e439  dscn2212

Cynthia is a trusted source on Bread/Baking.

added over 4 years ago

However, the next time you're in Ross or TJ Maxx, pick a sieve. You'll use it for everything from sifting dry ingredients, to sifting powdered sugar over a dessert, to straining a stock, to ....sieving pastry cream!

Let's Keep in Touch!

Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.

(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)

Please enter a valid email address.