Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Recipe comments - are recipe writers notified of them?

Are recipe authors notified of comments posted to their recipes? I ask because I've had the experience before of asking a question in the comments for a recipe and never gotten a response. This makes me wonder if the recipe writers aren't automatically notified when comments post to one of their recipes. It seems to me that there certainly should be such a notification.

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Yes, the recipe author is notified if you leave a comment on the recipe page. Kristen happens to be moving this weekend - I'm sure she'll respond as soon as she can.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

There is a box to check if you don't want to be notified of any comments and I know some who use this function. So if you have a question about a particular recipe and don't get a response after some time you might want to go through the hotline. The recipe writer may see it or someone else may be able to help.

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Inpatskitchen, I know there's such a box if you comment on a recipe and don't want to get emails when other comments are posted, but are you saying there's also such a box for recipe authors when they post their recipes?

inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Yes.. and when you set up your profile page there's a box to check if you want to receive notifications or not.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

I have sometimes missed comments on recipes that I have posted. If you don''t get a response from the author on the recipe page itself or via a hotline query, I would suggest messaging the recipe writer. That's probably the most direct way to communicate with the author.

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

Hi! When I first joined I checked the box to receive notification of comments to my recipes. I was using my Outlook email program. I changed to a gmail address (for testing purposes) and it worked! It became clear to me, after my test, that an online free mail messaging account such as (gmail, hotmail, yahoo) is what is needed on Food52. Try that and test it out, it should work. NOTE: if you already use a free email account then I haven't a clue where else to look. Cheers to it working for you! :)

OOPS...forgot to say, when I used my Outlook I wasn't receiving notifications.

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Interesting, lapadia! I wonder what the difference is? Yes, cookinginvictoria, I will follow up with her if I don't hear back. I don't have any intention of getting a blender, but it would still be interesting to know.

Hi, I'm back!:)
Well, there are technical reasons why using online email works, something to do with Web Access. All I know is that it works vs. using email programs that comes with whatever software packages out there. I recommended a couple other cooks to open a gmail account and try that, and this was all they needed.

I have often not gotten a response either, sadly, even for recipes that were tested by food52 staff. I generally shop at whole foods or the farmers market, so im not overly concerned that it's a product issue.