Can chicken soup be frozen twice?

I froze chicken soup right after making it, then defrosted it. Is it safe to freeze it again?

asked by akrainey over 5 years ago

dymnyno

I have done it. I think that it is ok as long as it is soon rather than later.

ChefOno

Multiple freeze / thaw cycles are not a safety issue.

Linn

Chef Uno, wouldn't the safety issue depend on the product being thoroughly reheated? I have always avoided multiple freeze / thaw cycles for two reasons. First because of the safety issue, but second because reprocessing can cause product degradation.

Linn

Appreciate the explanation. Thanks!

The short answer is yes, if you bring it to a boil (and cool down) before refreezing.