Recommendations for getting odors out of Tupperware?

My GF has a favorite Tupperware container that she kept several onion rolls in. Unfortunately it now reeks of onion after several washings. What have you used to get odors out of plastic containers? Thanks!

asked by Lazarus over 5 years ago

Fill with water with good 1/3 cup of baking soda in it. Let it set a couple of days.

I also add some lemon juice to the solution. Baking soda works wonders.

LE BEC FIN

I am a 'Bleach Girl myself. use it all the time. fill the container w/ water/bleach at a maybe 5/1 ratio. cover and let set maybe 5? hours. pour bleach into a bowl in case you still need it. rinse the container w water and smell it. if still has onion smell, return bleach water; add a bit more bleach(can't hurt anything really) and smell it after another few hr. yay bleach.

dymnyno

When you store your tupperware don't put the lids on. Store the containers and lids separately so that air can circulate between the containers.

calendargirl

Excellent point, and crucial for fresh-smelling containers. I've started to use Snapware, which is BPA free, and available at Costco and online.

Very COLD soapy water gets stink off of pots, pans, glasses. I think it works on plastic, too.

I just heard another one today. Put in water and a couple of Alka Seltzers and let it sit overnight. The Citric Acid and Sodium bi-carb will absorb the odors and clean stains.

Isheanesu Chukucha

Rinse them with vinegar. After washing your containers with hot water and dish soap, fill them with white vinegar and let them sit for at least three minutes to remove icky, lasting smells. Then, pour out the vinegar and wash again with soap and water.

Isheanesu Chukucha

Laura De

Set a saucer in the container and pour in 2 Tbsp Vanilla, cover and let set overnight. I have used this to take odors out of furniture, newly painted rooms, etc. and it works like a charm.

DebbieC

Sometimes if I have stains on plastic lids I let them sit in full sunlight all day and the color "bleaches" out. Perhaps it would help with odors? Worth a try.